Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Welcome to my "Adventures with a Compute Stick" blog.



I am the proud owner of a 32gb Windows Intel Compute Stick and so far I've managed to do some pretty remarkable things with such a small device. My future posts will be detailing some of my achievements. Amongst other things I'm using the Stick as a Media Center PC on my TV that offers the following features :

  • 1080p native resolution
  • Windows 10 through an update
  • Cordless headphone listening by connecting a Stereo Bluetooth Headset
  • 1080p high bitrate wifi streaming off a NAS using Kodi (XBMC)
  • MAME and PSX cordless gaming with the use of a Logitech cordless gamepad and emulators
  • Music Streaming and remote control with Spotify and Google Play Music
  • AC3 and DTS passthrough to my Amplifier through my TV's S/PDIF coaxial connection

I've extended the capabilities of the Stick by connecting the following :

  • A powered USB hub that gives 4 connections
  • A wireless all-in-one keyboard that's connected with a dongle on the hub
  • A wireless gamepad connected with a dongle
  • A 32gb MicroSD
  • The aforementioned Stereo Bluetooth Headset

Regarding performance and resposiveness on day to day tasks I can atest that the stick is amazing. Windows 10 performance is snappy considering that you're working with an Atom powered device , you wouldn't load Photoshop on the thing so day to day would be media playback, light gaming with casual games and some children's titles from the Windows Store.

So let's dig deeper starting with cordless audio connectivity..

No comments:

Post a Comment